Monday, June 20, 2011

Peter Gabriel

So...I didn't think that I would end up posting anything not related to my internship but here I am doing it!

This past Saturday my boyfriend and I flew to Kansas City, MO to see Peter Gabriel in concert.  I have been a huge fan of his since the 80s and I saw him in concert in '93.  This tour, he skipped AZ so that's why we went to Missouri.

The show on Saturday night was by far the best concert I have even been to.  There is no way I can adequately describe the event and how it made me feel.  What made this tour extra special is that, instead of the typical concert where an artist/band plays their hits the way they sound on the albums, this tour is Peter Gabriel playing a few cover songs by artists like Paul Simon and Arcade Fire as well as his own music--all of it backed by a 50-piece orchestra.  I think most people remember "Sledgehammer" and "Shock the Monkey" but he didn't play those songs.  Personally, I think his best songs are the one that never got radio play.  The experience was was gorgeous, amazing, and beautiful.

On top of being a musical genius (in my opinion) he is, and always has been, very socially aware and quite an activist.  He spoke about the Arab Spring and dedicated his rendition of "Biko" to those fighting for their freedom in places like Syria and Libya.

I feel so fortunate to have been at this show...and it was also a nice break from summer school!  (We also had some incredible Kansas City BBQ!)

If you are interested, I highly recommend checking out his website.  You can hear the songs and see how the album was made.  Its brilliant! 

http://www.petergabriel.com/features/Scratch_My_Back/

No comments:

Post a Comment