Friday, June 24, 2011

Home Depot, Efficiency, and Attention to Detail

Today I had a new back door installed.  It looks great and we now also (finally) have a dog door.  I am fairly pleased with the results but even more pleased to finally have it finished.  I ordered the door from Home Depot and it has been one problem after another. 

I started this process by measuring the old door, the frame, and anything that might help get an accurate size for a new door.  My house was built in 1948 so I know the door size might not be standard.  I took my measurements to H.D. and sat down with an employee who has sold doors for 12 years.  We discussed all of the options and he printed out the specifications.  I told him that I would have my handyman install the door so the HD employee recommended that, before placing the order, I should show the specifications to the handyman to make sure he agreed with the measurements.  I did this and the handyman confirmed that the measurements were just right.

So I placed the order (this door had to be customized a bit).  Although it took 2 weeks longer than originally estimated I was not upset.  Rather, I was content that things were moving along.  The handyman picked up the door and began the process of hanging it.  Then I heard him say, "Oh, that's not good".  This is not the phrase you want to hear from your handyman when your old door is off and your air conditioning is gushing out of the house.

The door so "carefully" ordered from HD was 4 inches too wide.  4 inches!!  The doorway could not be widened and I could not return the door because it had been customized.  Fortunately my handyman was able to cut the door to size, but unfortunately, the window and dog door are now off-center.  Oh well.  I'm not going to buy a second door for $500.

The door was finally hung without incident today.  But when the handyman tried to install the dog door he discovered that HD cut the dog door opening too small (I paid an extra $70 for that service).  My handyman is resourceful and was able to fix that as well.

Side note: The handyman was talking to a buddy of his who had a similar problem with ordering a door in one size but getting the final product in another size.  HD was involved in that case as well.

This experience has taught me a couple things and reminded me of a couple of other things. 
  • First of all, never ever throw away/recycle the original paperwork (this would have shown that I had originally discussed the correctly sized door).  I had the original paperwork when I went back to place the order but as soon as the order was in the system I thought, "Why do I need this?  I'll just recycle it!" (bad idea...there went my proof).
  • Ask for a print-out of the new order before the order is placed.  Compare the specs of each order to make sure they match.  Don't trust that the numbers are correct just because the employee is nice and seems knowledgeable.  Knowledge and computer skills are not the same thing.
  • Efficiency and attention to detail are important in EVERY profession.  Whether you are a policy analyst, a compliance officer on a campaign, or the guy who sells doors at Home Depot, PAY ATTENTION and don't assume that just because something is accurate because it is on a computer screen.  Check and re-check.  
  • Lastly, as a consumer, do your due diligence.  I thought I had but it wasn't enough.  This also applies to the public sector.  Although ultimately, the employee on the other side of the counter/desk should have the skills and knowledge upon which the consumer can rely, this is not always the case.  Attention to detail goes both ways.
OK, I'm done venting now.  Thank you for reading (if you made it this far)!  :)

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a huge headache. I'm glad you have a good handyman that can make the best out of a bad situation.

    ReplyDelete